Great value, fun atmosphere, hearty food and all for a great cause.
We went to check out Fat Macy’s Christmas Supper Club at the Printworks Kitchen in Clerkenwell. At £30 a head for a three-course meal and a cocktail! What a great price for an evening out in London.
The venue was fairly small but also comfortable. The open kitchen was nice for the simple joy of watching the food be prepared and the waiters were helpful and quite cheery.
The menu was traditional enough to be good Christmas fare and unique enough to avoid being a typical Christmas dinner. While each course was satisfying and flavourful, the potato soup was particularly good. The quince trifle was lovely too but to be honest I couldn’t finish it all, I was quite full by then.
They were running a bit behind schedule, but with 30 people to feed at once from a small kitchen they did pretty well. The hospitality was great and the food was definitely worth waiting for.
The catering scheme created my Meg Doherty, YMCA North London volunteer launched earlier this year. This is their third series of supper clubs. The programme supports young Londoners living in temporary accommodation to save for a rental deposit using their housing deposit scheme. Participants plan, cook and host the supper club gaining work experience to support them in finding future employment while also earning funds towards their rental deposit.
Young people working at Fat Macy’s receive £10 per hour via a trust fund that can only be used for a rental deposit. Every volunteer chef commits to 60 hours of volunteering, securing a minimum of £600 in deposit, while they also gain valuable work experience to help them find employment in the future.
In their own words “Fat Macy’s works with young Londoners living in temporary accommodation. We provide a pathway towards independent living by inviting them to create and curate culinary pop-up events across the capital.”
To find out more about the scheme and the Supper Club visit: www.fatmacys.org
This special series of Christmas dinner pop-ups is running until December 22nd.
1st – 22nd December
6 Rosebury Avenue
London, EC1R 4SX
- Grand Trunk Road – Review - April 19, 2017
- Fat Macy’s Christmas Supper Club – Review - December 5, 2016
- Junkyard Golf Club London – Review - May 15, 2016
- Machine No.3 – Whiskey Tasting – Review - March 3, 2016
- LDN Life – Supporting “The Worlds Biggest Selfie” - February 4, 2016
- Machine No. 3 – Review - January 19, 2016
- The Blues Kitchen Brixton – Review - November 6, 2015
- Welcome To Night Vale – Live Show – London Review - October 9, 2015
- The House of Peroni Residency – Coming this October - August 18, 2015
- Stage Door Pop Up at the Waldorf Hotel – Review - August 10, 2015
Get our weekly Friday newsletter
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.