If you’re wondering where Surbiton is, it’s in Zone 6, just below Kingston and straddles the border with Surrey. Though some people say it is Surrey, it is not. (Though Brixton was in Surrey apparently according to Wikipedia) For me, it is home and the best place on earth. Okay perhaps not THE best place on earth, but it’s pretty close.
Where else can you find a four 6 foot guinea pigs carrying sardines ‘caught’ from the river Thames for a BBQ? A Village Fete crammed full of amazing local foods, music, and the annual dry hopped beer festival? Oh AND the Seething Community Sports Day and picnic, where the highlights include a Drag race, if you are imagining lots of men in dresses running as fast as they can, you’re spot on.
YES it is as weird as it is wonderful, but it makes Surbiton much more than ‘A generic commuter town’, this is a clever little town with a big heart and a huge sense of community when you take a peek under the surface.
Aside from the 3 main events, there are lots of events on throughout the festival – You can see the full list here, but my picks are:
Butchery and Blues – Monday, May 2nd, 2016 from 17:00
- Guitar player, singer, and butcher, Joe will start the evening with a butchery demonstration, then round the evening off with some blues and soul.
Drink and Draw with wine tasting – Tuesday, May 3rd, 2016 from 19:30 – 22:00
- A fun evening of drinking and drawing – what could possibly go wrong?
Sugar paste roses with Surbiton Sugar Craft Guild – Friday, May 6th, 2016 from 19:30 – 21:30
- A good friend of mine does this and they are so good I’m convinced it is some kind of sugar voodoo.
Cocktails and Canapes – Tuesday, May 10th, 2016 17:00 – 22:00
- £12 for 2 cocktails and tapas!! Show me the WAY!
Pop-up Restaurant with Margo and Rita – Thursday, May 12th, 2016 from 19:30
- Tasty Thai dishes in a Museum that doesn’t look to the past.
Sunday Session – Milky WAY – Sunday, May 15th, 2016 from 19:30
- Set in The Lamb, this will be a wonderful end to a what will be an awesome festival…. I’ll be taking the Monday off work 🙂
For more info visit the official website